Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Road Rage

I usually don't let the attitudes of other drivers affect me too much; road rage is overrated. However, today was an exception. I was driving down Highway 51 today on my way to pick up Layne from daycare, and apparently I was driving just a little too slowly for the man behind me. He wasn't tailing me too closely that I noticed (but somewhere along there I admit I was looking at my phone), but when the road opened up to four lanes he quickly pulled into the lane to my right and was noticably shaking his head. Fortunately for me, because I wanted to explore his disdain further, we were approaching a red light. As I pulled up next to him at the red light, he was still shaking his head, so I very neutrally shrugged my shoulders, lifted my hands and mouthed, "What?" (It would have been too forward to have rolled down my window.) To my surprise, he mouthed this back: "You were going 45 in a 55!" Not knowing what else to do, and not having given it in a while, I raised the middle finger on my right hand and pumped my hand to give the message extra emphasis. I know, not very ladylike and not in the spirit of the season, but it made me really mad that this guy was upset at me for traveling slowly. I mean, really? Then after that I took great pleasure in his inability to pass another slow driver ahead of him. I wonder if he shook his head at them, too?

1 comment: